Thursday, December 31, 2015

Google Classroom Discussions and Playsheets

Tonight is NYE and I completely teched out for the night. I just couldn't put my iPad down. No matter how many football games, kids screaming or dogs barking around, nothing could break my excitement. I found http://www.alicekeeler.com/teachertech/   Thank you Alice Keeler...you rock!!

Keeler's blog was a one-stop-shop for removing my roadblocks. Most of my Google Classroom questions were answered. Those that weren't answered I learned alternative ways to get it done.  For example I have way too much in the students' stream and I needed to clean it up. One thing that was cluttering it up was the daily objectives/do nows where I asked questions to start class discussions. The discussions were not as good as I would have liked and the posts had too much real estate in the stream. Starting after break I am now going to use a Google Sheet equipped with Scripts by Keeler to have class discussions. I will blog about set up and implantation over the next week or two.

I am also now looking for Playsheets. Playsheets is a term I learned tonight. Playsheets are interactive worksheets/activities that grade the work and offer students instant feedback.  I once again miss teaching science. There are so many interactive games and Playsheets out there for the Sciences and Math, but I have not really found English Language Arts for Middle School students. However, I only spent a little time on Quia.com. I was able to find a quiz for The Giver. I may try this out with my 30 day free trial next week. I'll let you know how that goes too.

I wrote down my list for everything I wanted to get done during Media Monday, right when we return from break and I am now up to 5 things; start Class Discussions on Spreadsheets, set up writing journals on Google Classroom/Docs, ThinkMarks (continued assignment), PBS Storyboard learning lesson, join Quizlet classrooms (I just upgraded to teacher!).  I know I should set the bar high, but I am also dealing with a tooth ache and no dentist until 4:30 on Monday. So, the next 3 days I need to widdle things down and make a schedule I will survive.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment